The Process Engineer performs experiments to develop novel metal 3D printing processes under the supervision of senior engineers and technologists, and works with senior staff to put together project plans and detailed experimental designs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work independently to execute experiments from preparing solid models, convert to files that can be printed, schedule files to be printed, troubleshoot issues that occur during print and analyzing parts after print.
- Make detailed observations of experiments and note any anomalies on the tool during the run and troubleshoot any anomalies.
- Perform all post-build analysis including metrology measurements such as tensile properties, surface roughness measurements and metallographic analysis.
- Analyze in-build metrology data to gain insight into mechanisms of variable part performance.
- Responsible for recording all data in a summary presentation for each experiment and prepare weekly update that summarizes the experimental progress on the project.
- Work with process team to analyze experimental observations and data, plan and execute subsequent experiments based upon prior results.
- Participate in on-call schedule rotation to serve as process escalation contact for operations team.
- Follow procedures to operate 3D Printers in lab.
- Remove completed parts from machine after 3D printing completed.
- Participate in team and other assigned meetings.
- Other duties as needed or required.
Required: Post-graduate degree in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Physics or related field is preferred; or Bachelor’s degree with 5 years of highly applicable experience
Desired: Ph.D. degree in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or related field.
Required: Basic Knowledge of DOE and Statistics
Desired: Experience with CAD or Solidworks modelling. Coding experience in MATLAB or related software is preferred.
- High commitment to contribute to a positive, high paced and results oriented work environment
- Experience defining and conducting experiments based on required learning; parameterizing cause
and effects of experiment, and analyzing experiments data using statistical tools included in
software such as JMP or similar
- Ability to organize parts and data
- Committed to quality, safety and communication
- High level of accountability
- Skilled in communicating, both verbal and written, on experimental and other results; and reading
complex scientific papers and highlight key phenomena and learning
- Attention to detail
- Team-oriented and self-directed
- Ability to quickly absorb and efficiently incorporate changing project needs
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Able to lift a maximum of 60 pounds and stand for extended periods of time
OTHER PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS while working in laboratory:
- Must wear steel-toed boots
- Must wear protective eye-wear
- May require hearing protection
- High frequency of computer keyboarding
- High frequency of viewing a computer monitor
- Other personal protective equipment as applicable
Work is performed in office and manufacturing laboratory. Work is may be performed in emergency and
stressful situations and may include handling of hazardous materials.