Relativity seeks a highly talented engineer to join the Structures Test team at a rapidly growing space startup. This position will be integrally involved in the design, build, and operation of all structural test stands at our Los Angeles headquarters. The successful candidate will bring experience in at least one of the following areas: fluid piping systems, data acquisition systems, industrial control systems, aerospace testing, or launch ground support equipment. This position is ideal for engineers from a variety of disciplines with an above average ability to design electrical or fluid systems and understand their impact on the larger test stand.
The Mission/Outcomes and Objectives
Our mission is to change people’s conception of the way rockets are built and flown. As a structural test engineer, you will work to increase automation and decrease fixed tooling in the test environment. You may approach this problem by: designing tank pressurization systems, troubleshooting data acquisition and automation hardware, or operating closed loop hydraulic control systems.
In order to be successful in this role, you should be equally at home working from your desk or in the test yard. Some days you will be working on the test stands to solve integration or activation problems, and other days you will be designing new systems for upcoming test campaigns. You should be nimble and scrappy, but able with a constant eye to safety and quality.
The successful candidate will have some exposure to structural design and FEA, but will have significant experience with either fluid or electrical systems. Some examples of relevant experience include:
- PLC based control system design
- Hydraulic system design for closed loop control
- 1D fluid analysis for flow or pressurization systems
- Circuit design for digital or analog input sensors
- Procedure creation for complex operations
Minimum Required Skills and Competencies
- Undergraduate degree in STEM field and at least 1 year of professional engineering experience post-graduation
- Able to start within the next 4 weeks
- Willing to travel as required (up to 15%)
- Demonstrated track record of completing multi-discipline projects within time and budget constraints
- Familiarity with instrumentation selection and operation
- Proven ability to make critical decisions under pressure in a console operator or other real-time environment.
Preferred Skills and Competencies
- At least 3 years of engineering experience
- Comfortable working at heights or enclosed spaces
- Significant “hands on” experience
- Familiarity with structural design and finite element analysis
- Familiarity with aerospace launch or test environment
- If fluids specialty:
- Familiarity with cryogenic handling and hazards
- Experience with hydraulic power systems
- Familiarity with high pressure (>3,000 psi) systems
- Demonstrated design ability using 1D fluid analysis
- If data and control systems specialty:
- Familiarity with EtherCAT architecture
- Demonstrated ability to tune closed loop control algorithms
- Fluent in 1 or more object oriented programming languages
- Practical understanding of how to minimize the impact of EMI
This position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a United States Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. § 120.15 is required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.