Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
Virta has an outcomes based pricing model and we are only paid when our patients achieve critical health outcomes (reduced HbA1c, weight loss, medication reduction). The Medical Coding Specialist plays an integral role in keeping our business running and achieving our goal of being paid based on outcomes.
The Medical Coding Specialist is a part-time contract role (20 hrs/week on 1099) and will be a part of the Operations team, working closely with the medical, product and finance teams.
- Monitor ever-changing regulatory and policy requirements affecting coded information for the full spectrum of services provided.
- Partner with the medical staff, support operations and product team to develop coding and documentation processes
- Review medical procedures as documented by doctors
- Translate medical procedures into codes that can be understood and accepted by payers, other medical coders, and other medical facilities
- Transmit coded patient treatment information to payers and other recipients
- Manage patient billing and billing inquiries
- Defining best practices for submitting claims to all insurance carriers Virta works with; maximizing for revenue collection and scalability & updating our coding playbook for new account sales/launches
- Partner with commercial and operations teams to build and scale fee for service opportunities
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Develop coding processes and documentation for Virta treatment
- Partner cross functionally to develop scalable coding processes
- Work with finance team to manage claims submission and revenue collection
- Work with sales and CS team to develop coding best practices and processes for new accounts
- Conduct a coding audit and recommend changes across existing accounts
- Co-develop fee-for-service billing strategy with team
- Knowledge of CPT®, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS
- 5 years of coding experience at a medical group. Working knowledge of coding and billing
- Certified Professional Coder Certification (CPC) highly valued
- Analytical skills: ability to analyze medical records and documentation and translate that information into codes
- Attention to Detail: Accuracy is very important in medical records, for diagnosis, treatment and billing. Meticulous attention to detail is key.
- Interpersonal Skills: Medical biller and coder work with doctors, nurses, insurance companies and other information techs to create medical records. Being personable and easy to work with helps build deep relationships within the team.
- Technical Skills: Use of specialized software to record medical information. Being able to quickly understand technology is necessary.
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate