Senior Backend Software Engineer at Sentropy
United States of America
The internet is not a safe place. The moderation of abusive and harassing content has long been propped up by keyword filters and pattern matching, but the lion’s share of this work has always fallen to humans. Today, hundreds of thousands of people review the worst content the internet has to offer. Yet even as a multi-billion dollar industry content moderation industry has emerged, millions of people are abused, harassed, and attacked every day, across every digital platform.
At Sentropy, our mission is to make the internet safer. We’re reimagining how communities of any size can use technology to protect and improve the experiences of their users. Powered by cutting-edge machine learning technology and guided by our experience fighting fraud, terrorism, and human trafficking, Sentropy’s platform allows digital communities to gain quick access to data and intelligence that can enable proactive abuse detection and power content discovery to drive deeper user engagement.
Sentropy is a “distributed-first” company, meaning all employees have the option to work from anywhere in the US. We're a Series A company and our team is backed by a stable of top institutional investors, as well as founders and leaders of Reddit, Riot Games, OpenAI, Twitch, Twitter, and a former head-of-state. We’re making the most advanced technologies easily accessible to those safeguarding the internet, and we’re looking for people that are passionate about using technology to improve our society.
What you'll be working on
- Design and create generalized API services and data pipelines to enable enterprises to securely analyze customer data
- Guide architectural decisions across the stack, including, but not limited to, metrics, monitoring, services, and databases
- 8+ years of industry experience working on backend systems or services
- 8+ years software programming experience in Python, Go, Java, or C++ (with Python preferred)
- Solid understanding of design patterns, data structures and distributed systems, including the operational tradeoﬀs of various approaches
- Experience with running large data processing tasks in cloud environments
- Thorough understanding of general build/deployment/release procedures, Spark, Kafka, or SQL
- You know the best practices of how to write testable and reusable code
- Hands-on experience with containerization (e.g. Docker) and orchestration (e.g. Kubernetes)
- Can drive precise technical requirements for large projects
- Usage of metrics to drive experimentation and decision making
- Prior experience as a tech lead, mentor or engineering manager
- Big plus if you have experience working with machine learning teams, but if not and you’re the right candidate, we’ll teach you along the way
What we offer
- Work from anywhere. Whether you prefer a home office, a co-working space, or a coffee shop, enjoy the flexibility of working from where you work best - anywhere in the US.
- Platinum healthcare. We provide platinum-level medical, dental, and vision insurance. We cover 99% of employee premiums and 95% of dependent premiums.
- Generous time-off policies. Take time when you need it to rest, relax, and recharge with unlimited PTO and 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave.
- Home office upgrades. Revamp your home setup on us. We cover home office upgrades to help you be productive and comfortable from wherever you’re working.
- Social and lifestyle allowances. Use our flexible allowance benefit to get a round with friends, take a gym class, cover your takeout and grocery bills, and improve your mental health and wellness.
- Team events. Distributed work is awesome, but so is getting together in-person. Hang out with your colleagues at planned team events around the country.