Modern mobility companies – like those operating rideshare, freight, drones and AVs – use digital tools for routing, scheduling, and even basic operations. Cities – which still use paper, signs and people to manage our roadways – have long struggled to keep up. This digital divide has created a quality-of-life crisis for cities and inconsistent, inefficient rules for mobility operators. Longstanding challenges like congestion, pollution, and inequities in access and safety are poised to get even worse.
Lacuna is the first company to bridge the gap between modern mobility companies and cities, building digital tools in open source that make it possible to create and enforce transportation policies digitally. We are a leading provider of digital tools that allow cities to create, communicate, and enforce dynamic transportation policies. Our equity-enhancing and privacy-preserving solutions give cities a full and reliable picture of how their roads and airways are leveraged so that they can create evidence-based policies to address congestion, pollution, access, safety and more. Lacuna paves the way for commercial operators to integrate their modern technologies into cities in a way that works for everyone long-term. Its wholly-owned consultancy, Ellis & Associates, works collaboratively to develop and deliver transportation technology strategic plans and programs, translating city priorities into real outcomes for the public good.
How You'll Have Impact
As a Product Manager at Lacuna, you will own one of our city products from conception to launch. Our product opportunity areas include Digital Curbs and Vehicle Operations Management. You will be the company expert of the market domain, its users, its opportunities. You will lead the strategy for an engineering team. You will excel at cross-functional collaboration and work with leadership, engineering, partnerships, marketing, and client services to deliver value to users through product features. You will seamlessly flow between high-level strategic planning, customer interactions, and day-to-day project execution. You will set and achieve ambitious goals on growth, adoption and engagement, helping the company both define and achieve its success.
You’ll hit the ground running by spending time with our customers and partners, digging into their goals, challenges and workflows and bringing back insights, opportunities, and new thinking to our development process and product strategy. Working closely with the Partnerships, Client Services and Engineering teams, you’ll define, represent and communicate a strategy to deliver solutions to continually improve cities’ abilities to achieve their mobility access goals.
We are building a world-class product organization and assembling the right team to scale aggressively. This is an opportunity for someone who wants to be part of something big and transformative. This person will play a critical role in driving our success and helping to create more efficient, equitable, and safer transportation for our cities.
What you’ll need
- Excitement about the future of transportation, cities, and digital infrastructure
- 4+ years of relevant experience that includes a solid product-building background (Engineering, design, entrepreneurship, etc.) and with a good understanding and/or hands-on experience in software development, and web and mobile technologies
- Experience working with new, complex technology from concept through production
- Natural ability to make things happen around you. You manage project ambiguity, complexity, and interdependencies in an organized and structured way. You are able to define and analyze metrics that inform the success of products.
- Excellent judgment and thoughtfulness about the dynamics of a product ecosystem
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate strategy and concepts at every level -- within teams, within the company, to partners, to users, to press, and other audiences.
- Desire to solve challenging problems, learn new things, adjust points-of-view, and wear many hats as part of an early stage company
Gold stars for experience with
- Experience with fleet management systems, driver applications, autonomous vehicle, or other digital navigation software development
- Experience with GIS, map data systems or related services
- Working at a city DOT or a transportation or mobility company
- Working with large enterprises or (ideally) cities or government agencies as customers
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.