About the Role:
Inscopix is seeking a Vice President Engineering to lead us into the next phase of our development. This is an exciting opportunity for you to shape your team and be a key connector between other departments in the company. While many start-up opportunities are either “build it all from scratch” or “walk into everything fully done”, this opportunity is the best of both worlds. You’ll hire additional talent, mentor senior leaders on the current team, and bring your favorite best practices to the organization to contribute to our culture and growth. Here’s more about the problem you’ll be solving.
Our brain imaging product platform has recently migrated to a new network-based data acquisition system that is ready for integrating with cloud-based data storage and analysis. The new product platform builds on years of Engineering and customer feedback, and our new nVista, nVoke, and recently launched nVue products are now poised to enable scaling into the broader research markets and into high-throughput, big data applications for Pharma/Biotech and other enterprise customers. As our VP Engineering, your priorities will be to unlock the full product feature set, integrating multiple modalities into the platform, and enabling a cloud-computing future. Together, we will take Inscopix to the next phase of our growth and empower discoveries in brain health.
- Drive long-term Research and Development projects that dovetail with the Company’s commercial and strategic goals.
- Manage all Engineering teams in the organization including hardware, mechanical, embedded, and optical. This includes providing support and guidance to your Managers and Directors so they grow and feel inspired to perform at their best.
- Oversee the activities of a full stack software engineering team that is developing software for the instrumentation platforms and for a cloud-based data management and analysis service. Partner with commercial leaders to enable novel SaaS models for software product commercialization.
- Transition biological reagents developments and consumables reagent-probe product development into a “sample prep-to-results” oriented Engineering organization.
- Model a culture of innovation and enhancing our products by capturing feedback from customers and working with teams across the Company to define and implement key new product features addressing market feedback.
- Drive continued workflow development aligning with key application verticals.
- Partner with Manufacturing Operations to manage all product/sustaining engineering activities, drive margin improvements, and enable scale-up.
- Actively recruit diverse high potential performers that will excite your team to collaborate on solving problems with them.
- Work with the science and product teams to develop short and long term roadmaps.
- Proactively seek out opportunities to improve existing processes for New Product Introductions and for scale.
- Serve as a key member of the Executive team that sets the company’s strategic direction and be an intentional culture champion.
- Present roadmaps to the Board and report on milestones and accomplishments.
Here’s what we’re looking for in an ideal candidate:
- 15+ years of industry experience in life science, imaging instrumentation OR big data/video processing, with at least 5 years in senior engineering management roles leading a multi-disciplinary team of hardware and software engineers. This could mean you could be a Group Manager or Director at a large company or an exec at a start-up.
- Thirst and excitement for building, leading, and managing Engineering teams of 15+ people with a preference of experience scaling a team to 50+.
- Proven ability to build hardware products and integrate hardware with software.
- Expertise with imaging, including image sensors and electronics for video acquisition.
- Advanced degrees in engineering or related discipline. PhD is preferred.
- Be based in the Bay Area and have the ability to be in the Palo Alto office 2-5 days a week. (During COVID-19, some of our Engineering team is in the office 2-3 days a week for essential functions. While that might not be needed for your role during COVID-19, it’s likely you would need to come on site which means this role can’t be remote).
Inscopix is a neurotechnology company developing a platform and full stack for real-time brain mapping. Our vision at Inscopix is to drive new treatments to dramatically improve the health and well-being of people suffering from debilitating brain and nervous system disorders. Inscopix’s flagship products, nVista™ and nVoke™ systems, have been deployed in over 400 research institutions across the world resulting in over 100 top-tier scientific publications and empowering breakthroughs in Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, psychiatric disorders, chronic pain, and addiction. Based in Palo Alto, the Inscopix team brings together deep domain expertise in neuroscience, engineering, and data science. Advised and backed by industry luminaries and investors, Inscopix has been recognized as a World Economic Forum Technology Pioneer, and by Deloitte as one of North America’s fastest growing technology companies.
Inscopix is an equal opportunity employer.
Inscopix welcomes and values diversity. Since our technology impacts people of different backgrounds, thoughts and beliefs, we feel it’s critical to employ people that reflect the diversity of people our technology is set out to help. Employment decisions at Inscopix are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity and/or expression, ethnic or national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, marital or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical or genetic history or any other protected status. Inscopix is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind.