Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type-2 diabetes without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
We are looking for an outstanding and well-rounded biostatistician with excellence in clinical research to join our world-class research team in its mission to improve health outcomes for patients. This position will be responsible for conducting statistical analyses for Virta research, managing research collaborations, and co-authoring manuscripts for peer review with internal and external co-authors. As part of the research team, you’ll provide the broader team with rigorous evidence demonstrating the impact and value of the Virta treatment and discover insights that improve the care we provide by understanding interactions between the treatment and patient needs.
- Evaluate research concepts to design study protocols in collaboration with clinical research scientists.
- Lead development of statistical analysis plans for clinical trials and research studies; perform sample size calculations.
- Perform statistical analyses, produce tables and figures, and draft statistical methods and results sections for peer-reviewed manuscripts.
- Assist in development of study documentation, case report forms, and databases to ensure the highest quality of data for planned analyses.
- Mentor teammates on study design, statistical analysis plans, and in conducting statistical analyses.
- Maintain knowledge of novel methods in clinical trial design and statistical methodology.
- Discover insights that benefit clinical care and health outcomes in patients or that demonstrate Virta’s value to patients and payers.
- Build productive collaborations with cross-functional teammates to support research insights and publications at Virta.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Discover an insight that enhances a publication or clinical care or that serves as a hypothesis for future study while gaining fluency with our internal data pipelines, tools, and definitions.
- Design a statistical analysis plan and conduct statistical analyses leading to the submission of a peer-reviewed publication.
- Work with the research team to understand the current overall research agenda to identify where your skills will be uniquely valuable.
- Establish strong working relationships with Virta team members in Research, Insights & Analytics, and beyond.
- PhD in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, or similar with clinical trial experience.
- 5+ years experience in designing statistical analysis plans and performing statistics for clinical trials and clinical research, preferably with past experience in interventional, pharmaceutical, or biotechnology research.
- Additional experience in causal inference statistics, real world data, and/or large datasets is a plus.
- Minimum of 10 peer-reviewed publications and demonstration of excellent scientific conduct.
- Experience in diabetes research is preferred.
- Experience in cardiometabolic disease, cardiology, lipidology, telemedicine, or digital and mobile health research is helpful.
- Experience with SPSS, SAS, R, or similar tool and SQL. Experience with Python desired.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills across a variety of audiences (professional, medical/scientific, patients, cross-functional teammates).
- Occasional travel.
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.
For this role the compensation range for candidates in Colorado is $80,790- $92,862; information about Virta’s benefits is on our careers page at: https://www.virtahealth.com/careers.
Note: Starting pay will be based on a number of factors and commensurate with qualifications & experience. Virta has a location based compensation structure; there may be a different range for candidates in other locations