We are seeking an Engineering Program Manager to join our rapidly growing team working to decarbonize the aviation industry. We are developing a state-of-the-art modular hydrogen capsule technology and a fuel cell-electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. In this role, you will have the opportunity to shape and implement the program management tools and processes we use, and help us deliver on our ambitious goals on time and on budget.
About the Role
- Be responsible for key financial and budgetary activities including program planning, budget forecasting, vendor management, resource management/prioritization, etc.
- Adopt and optimize program management tools and processes in support of the PMO infrastructure.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to enhance product development activities efficiency and recalibrate execution plans in accordance with schedule objectives.
- Regularly gather and communicate key performance metrics, including schedule performance, budgetary performance, emergent resource needs, critical risk items, etc.
- Proactively communicate with senior leadership on current status and key risks.
- Expert-level proficiency in program management tools and processes (e.g., MS Project, agile project techniques, critical path methodologies, etc.)
- Experience managing a complex and fast-paced technical project to completion, ideally in a regulation-heavy industry (bonus points if aerospace).
- Deep familiarity with hardware engineering activities, likely through working directly with an hardware engineering team for multiple years, or an educational background in a relevant engineering discipline (e.g., mechanical, aerospace, electrical, systems, etc.).
- A thoughtful, empathetic perspective of when to push teams through completion of a major milestone, and when to adjust the program schedule/scope to preserve long-term team morale.
- PMP certification is preferred but not required.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).