Modern mobility companies – like those operating rideshare, freight, drones and AVs – use digital tools for routing, scheduling, and even basic operations. Cities – which still use paper, signs and people to manage our roadways – have long struggled to keep up. This digital divide has created a quality-of-life crisis for cities and inconsistent, inefficient rules for mobility operators. Longstanding challenges like congestion, pollution, and inequities in access and safety are poised to get even worse.
Lacuna is the first company to bridge the gap between modern mobility companies and cities, building digital tools in open source that make it possible to create and enforce transportation policies digitally. We are a leading provider of digital tools that allow cities to create, communicate, and enforce dynamic transportation policies. Our equity-enhancing and privacy-preserving solutions give cities a full and reliable picture of how their roads and airways are leveraged so that they can create evidence-based policies to address congestion, pollution, access, safety and more. Lacuna paves the way for commercial operators to integrate their modern technologies into cities in a way that works for everyone long-term. Its wholly-owned consultancy, Ellis & Associates, works collaboratively to develop and deliver transportation technology strategic plans and programs, translating city priorities into real outcomes for the public good.
How You'll Have Impact
The city mobility platform that we are building affords cities new opportunities, and the applications built on top of that platform are key for city staff and mobility companies to access and value that this new infrastructure brings. You’ll play a critical role in our success by shaping the user experience for our suite of products and by helping to define the product strategy. You’ll create a look and feel that directly affects how our customers use our products to improve mobility access for residents.
You’ll hit the ground running by spending time with our customers, digging into their goals, challenges and workflows and bringing back insights and opportunities to our development process and product strategy. Working closely with the Product and Engineering teams, you’ll quickly test new ideas and design and deliver improvements to our products that continually improve cities’ ability to deliver solutions to continually improve cities’ ability to achieve their mobility access goals.
As an early member of a small design team, you’re going to be responsible for a wide variety of tasks and projects. You will report to the Head of Product, and work alongside the lead designer to optimize the design process using best practices. Not only will you be helping Lacuna achieve excellence and success, but you also have the opportunity to play an integral role in the development of a more efficient, equitable, and environmentally conscious transportation system that benefits society as a whole.
What you’ll need
- Excitement about the future of transportation, cities, and digital infrastructure
- 2+ years of relevant experience, designing web and mobile software at a product-driven company.
- Excellent UX design and storyboarding skills; comfort using everything from sketches and wireframes to interactive prototypes to test new ideas
- Comfortable presenting designs and solutions to complex problems in a formal setting to engineering groups, product stakeholders, partners, and leadership.
- High proficiency in Adobe Creative suite, specifically Illustrator and Photoshop. After Effects and InDesign knowledge is a plus.
- Experience using Figma, Sketch and prototyping plugins like Craft and InVision is a big plus.
- Solid visual design and graphic design skills
- Experience conducting user research, knowing how and when to use research methods like interviews and field observation to deeply understand your customer
- Strong portfolio demonstrating interaction and visual design experience.
- Proven ability to collaborate with product and engineering to solve problems and move projects forward
- Desire to solve challenging problems, learn new things and wear many hats as part of an early stage company.
Gold stars for experience with
- Working at transportation or mobility companies
- Working with large enterprises or (ideally) cities or government agencies as customers
- An understanding of and experience with Agile
Lacuna is an equal opportunity employer. In building a product to solve real world problems for our cities, we strive to build a company representative of those cities. We encourage diversity in thought, experience, background and perspective. We are committed to creating such an environment for all employees.